Monday, December 13, 2010

"We Knitters Work a Powerful Magic When We Knit for Others."

The title of this post is taken from Knitting for Peace by Betty Christiansen.  Many of us have heard of the power of prayer shawls, and of the comfort they provide to their recipients.  This book will take you far beyond prayer shawls.  As the Christmas holidays approach, I have been asked to knit for several charities.  While I have been able to refuse on cordial terms, a part of me wants to scream at these people "Are you crazy?  It's only a few weeks until Christmas and NOW you are asking me to knit?  Where were you last March when I was bored and looking for a good project?  Do you really think I have spare time NOW?"

To assuage my guilty conscience, I looked at this book.  These are not projects geared to a certain time of year.  In other words, come February when I have recovered from my Christmas throw extravaganza, the charities in this book will still need knitters.  You can knit slippers for soldiers, afghans for Afghanis, blankets for the homeless, the ill and animals in shelters (to soften their pens).  You can knit caps for chemotherapy patients and preemies, security blankets for children, socks for Russian orphans and teddy bears for children with AIDS in South Africa.

Every project in this book has a pattern and contact information for the charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment